This lentil recipe, sweetened with apple, is delicious served with chicken. We recommend the red cabbage and apples are cooked until very soft. If your little one is new to solids, you may need to puree this recipe. To make it quick and easy to prepare we’ve used precooked lentils, but you can cook yours from scratch if you prefer.
There’s plenty of chopping to do in this recipe for older kids who are old enough to help.
The flavours of red cabbage and apple are a great combination and both contain important flavonoids which play a role in the management of eczema in infants. To read more about flavonoids and the medical benefits of these natural chemical compounds click here.
- 175g red cabbage, finely sliced and chopped
- 200ml organic apple juice
- 2 apples chopped into small chunks (Braeburn or Pink Lady)
- 250g pack of cooked puy lentils
- 2 tbsp water
This recipe goes really well with our Cookie Cutter Chicken Bites, there’s just enough time to make them while the cabbage cooks.
- Put the red cabbage into a pan with the apple juice. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until very soft.
- Add the apple and continue cooking until soft.
- Add the lentils and the water and heat through until piping hot.
- Leave to cool slightly before serving.
As well as sharing our experience of bringing up an eczema child (and favourite allergy-friendly recipes), we also manufacture and sell our unique stay-on scratch mitts and PJs for itchy babies, toddlers and children. We now stock sizes from 0-adult years in a range of colours and designs. Visit our online shop for more information.